53 12
Thread
Print

Lung Fu Shan Winter 2010-2011

Lung Fu Shan Winter 2010-2011

Today afternoon ~4:00p.m. Just around the Environmental Education Centre.

White-bellied Sea Eagle
Verditer Flycatcher
Black-winged Cuckoo-shrike
Asian Subtail Warbler

9 Jan 11 - Po Shan Road

Hadn't been to Po Shan Road in a while. Didn't expect much but it was pretty good.

5 Pale Thrush (first definite Pale Thrush for Po Shan Road)
2 Verditer Flycatcher
1 Rufous-tailed Robin
1 Red-flanked Bluetail
Pallas's Leaf Warbler--numerous
Yellow-browed Warbler--numerous

By LFS Environmental Education, 1 Black-winged Cuckooshrike

9th Jan 2011

Small Niltava x 1
Verditer Flycatcher x 1
Asian Brown Flycatcher x 2

The Small Niltava was found along the stream near the Kotewall Fire Station at about 11:00 am.

Chiu, today's photo!

Attachment

011aa.jpg (125.11 KB)

10/01/2011 01:06

011aa.jpg

http://www.fotop.net/KF

Hi mkongfan, thanks for posting the picture. It is absolutely superb. Great picture and great bird.

A male Red-flanked Bluetail was by the Kotewall Road firestation today.  For a long time I could only see it's back and thought it was the Niltava. Also, a flyover Hair-crested Drongo.

I saw the Niltava late yesterday afternoon (briefly, but still tickable!), but had a similiar expereince with that Bluetail when I first arrived.

Generally the area seemed very birdy, lots of thrushes around and stunning views of Bluetails (male and female) and Rufous-tailed Robin bathing in the stream.

Could you be more specific on the area? On Pik Shan path, on Kotewell Road, or above the firestation on the peak road?

On 9th Jan I saw it along the stream just above the fire station, on the path leading to the peak (i.e. NOT Pik Shan Path). The bird was following a bird wave and foraged actively along the stream. Good luck.

any latest information of the niltava this morning?

Yesterday at around 1700, I was stood on the bridge on Hatton Road/Path, looking downstream/hill when I saw the Niltava fly from Fire Station side, across the stream and into the woodland, where it perched briefly and then flew into deeper cover.

To-day i didn't found the Small Niltava but 2 Verditer Flycatchers was found very active,
and after Keol Ko have left around half past one and a Fujian Niltava was observed at the same
stream area, unlucky Koel was miss the bird.

Fujian Niltava
[img]f99IMG_55115 by bird8888, 於 Flickr[/img]

[img]f99IMG_55114 by bird8888, 於 Flickr[/img]

Verditer Flycatcher
[img]g98IMG_54942 by bird8888, 於 Flickr[/img]

[ Last edited by iherman at 24/03/2018 16:18 ]

No way! Wow!

good find , herman !!
I am just an inexperienced birder/ birdwatcher/ twitcher/ photographer with no long lens.

Good find & nice shots Herman! Keep it up.

Cheers
PWMK

Great find Herman!! That tree really has some magic to it!!

Thank you Koel, Peter, Fai jai and Brendank

Small Niltava seen this morning above the firestation. Also several Pale Thrush, Grey-backed Thrush, Red-flanked Bluetails and 3 Besra. As of 10:45 no Fujian Niltava.

Frreezing cold and rainy today, but that bird must be the best reward!

The Small Niltava was seen well with a Verditer Flycatcher just above the fire station at 12pm.

No sight of small niltava at 12:45-14:30. But an emerald dove and 2 adule male, 2 imm. male and 2-3 female red-flanked bluetail were in there.

Koala, iherman............

Small Niltava still present at 08:30 this morning.

Other than niltavas, a Brown bush warbler was there.
I am not so familiar with ID of bush warbler. But the calling, color, and no eye brow are all pointed to the Brown bush warbler.
I hope I ID it right and I wish someone could find it and take some photos for it.

It was at the position of female small niltava. But it was on the middle position of a tall tree.

Chun

A female and a male small niltavas are still there.

20 Jan 2011-Po Shan Road

1 Verditer Flycatcher
3 Mountain Taylorbirds
6 Pale Thrush (showing reasonably well)
1 Grey-backed Thrush

I received a secondhand report of the Fujian Niltava and a Dusky Thrush yesterday at Pinewood Battery.

I looked there this morning.  Best birds were a flock of 12 Black Bulbuls migrating over HK Island.

[ Last edited by brendank at 26/01/2011 18:52 ]

A 2nd hand information as well.
A male fujian niltava was seen in today morning at Pik Shan Path.
I am thinking if there are two individuals in LFS now...

Fujian Niltava just seen near Graduate House on University Drive. From the road follow a little dirt workman's trail (which eventually connects with Pik Shan Path) up 20 meters. The bird was in this area.

27 Jan 2011

Here is a picture of Fujian Niltava from this morning.  I wish I could have photographed the belly better so I could be sure it wasn't a Rufous-bellied Niltava.  

I wonder if there might be three "Fujian" Niltavas around. I saw a picture of Niltava at Pinewood Battery. It was also difficult to eliminate Rufous-bellied from that photo.  It seems that this spot, the spot of Herman's bird, and Pinewood Battery are quite far apart. Maybe these birds move a lot but I find it a bit surprising that are a moving around so much. My guess is there are at least 2 birds.

Here are the pictures that i captured in afternoon.
but i am not sure that is Fuijan Niltava or Rufous-bellied Niltava?

The Fujian Niltava is being seen now on the workman's trail connecting University drive to Pik Shan Path about 40 meters from University Drive. These shots clearly rule out Rufous-bellied Niltava. I think it probably the same individual Herman found a few weeks ago above the firehall.

Still there today. Thank Brendank and Beetle.

I couldn't get the Fujian Niltava today (cry) but the pair of Small Niltavas were still present.

Quote:
Original posted by Beetle at 29/01/2011 23:23
I couldn't get the Fujian Niltava today (cry) but the pair of Small Niltavas were still present.
Would you mind to point out the location of the Small Niltavas?
http://www.fotop.net/KF

No Japanese Robin (seen on the road between Realty Garden and the end of Po Shan Rd yesterday) on Po Shan Road this morning.

Quite birdy otherwise:

6 Asian Stubtail Warbler
4 Rufous-tailed Robin
5 Pale Thrush   
2 Grey-backed Thrush
1 Greater Coucal

Fujian Niltava up the builder's dirt track at Pik Shan Path at around 0830 this morning.

31-1-2011

Around 15 individuals of rufous-tailed robin are in upper part of LFS and two black-winged cuckoo-shrikes also.

Japanese Robin was still present at 17:45~~

February 1, 2011

Japanese Robin seen at 9:35 am.

Location: look at this map. It was seen about where the "B" in Besra is.

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/redi ... 73&goto=newpost

7-2-2011

Pale Thrush
[img]a17IMG_58606a by bird8888, 於 Flickr[/img]

Rufous-Tailed Robin
[img]a11IMG_58535 by bird8888, 於 Flickr[/img]

Japanese Robin
[img]a16IMG_58605a by bird8888, 於 Flickr[/img]

Black-Winged Cuckoo Shrike
[img]a15IMG_58590 by bird8888, 於 Flickr[/img]

Fujian Niltava
[img]a14IMG_58497 by bird8888, 於 Flickr[/img]

Verditer Flycatcher
[img]a13IMG_58650 by bird8888, 於 Flickr[/img]

[ Last edited by iherman at 24/03/2018 16:15 ]

Japanese Robin,Good find & Great news~~Herman Sir!

Thank you wallace

9/2/2011

A Woodcock flying over the environmental education centre at ~6:30pm

And now the Fujian Niltava looks a pet more than a wildbird

10-2-2011
At HKU, a strange thrush appeared in HKU campus.
I think it is probably a female black-throated thrush!

It had a obvious white throat, a pale breast band without big spots like Dusky thrush. Its head and face did not have any pattern (e.g. eye brows) like eye-browed thrush and pale thrush. The overall color tone was dark grey and its head and back were of the same color. Whole body of it did not have orange feather. The bill color looked dark yellow or orange but did not like a Japanese thrush and Common blackbird. The size of it was about the blackbird's size.

All characteristics seem pointed toward a black-throated thrush (dark-throated thrush?). But it was obvious that the wing of it had a white patch. I cannot tell if the white patch was moulting feathers.

[ Last edited by fatchun at 10/02/2011 20:02 ]

It is seen again today. I could now tell what the white patch on the wing was.
It is a moulting bird with fluffy feathers. I could see the hanging white feather on its wing today. Also, I could see two black stripes on two sides of it's throat.
Unfortunately, it was chased by a blue-whistling thrush and flew away before Brendan came. We then cannot find it again.

Would it be other juvenile thrush species other then black/red-throated thrush?? thank you so much!

Chun

[ Last edited by fatchun at 11/02/2011 09:16 ]

Went lunchtime today to Pik Shan for the niltava. Didn't see it.
Instead, couple of Black-winged cuckoo-shrikes, 1 Asian Stubtail, 1 Rufous-tailed Robin, 1 Red-flanked Bluetail (f) and 1 Emerald Dove.

I may be too late for the niltava even if heard it was seen yesterday :-(

The Fujian Niltava is still on the workmen's trail.  Some photographers for better or worse have been baiting the Niltava which probably explains its tame behavior recently.

[ Last edited by brendank at 25/02/2011 13:04 ]

27th Feb 2011
A superb male Common Rosefinch was present near the Peak.

Female Small Niltava and male Fujian Niltava were still present at Lung Fu Shan today.

53 12
Thread