Thread
Print

Lam Tsuen Spring

19 April 2012

First Dollarbird this morning at Lung A Pai.

Dylan

There was a Dollarbird yesterday and and the Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo still calling at Ha Tin Liu Ha.

Dylan

Yesterday evening (26.4.12) a Grey-streaked Flycatcher was on telephone lines above my yard- one of my best living room ticks (I envy Mike's veggie patch views).  A single Dollarbird was at Lung A Pai and Brown Wood Owl was calling around 6.30pm

Dylan

Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo, Indian Cuckoo (my first in Lam Tsuen this year) and a single Dollarbird this morning.

Dylan

Indian Cuckoo calling at the ponds behind She Shan, Chestnut-winged Cuckoo calling at Pak Tin Kong and a single Dollarbird at Lung A Pai.

Dylan

A single dollarbird at Lung A Pai in their favourite tree.  The Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo was still calling behind Ha Tin Liu Ha.  Chestnut-winged, Large Hawk and Plaintive Cuckoo were also calling this morning

Dylan

I didn't get a chance to look for dollarbirds this morning and none were there this afternoon.  However, around 5pm, the Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo was calling again from the same wood behind Ha Tin Liu Ha.

I flushed a black-crowned night heron off the path tonight which doesn't happen often.  There was a bird circling and calling in the night sky- a call I didn't recognise- single note repeated- not like the usual night heron call but could well have been one!

Dylan

Unfortunately, no, at least not as far as the calls I have found on the internet which seem to be fairly deep booming calls.  This was a higher pitched "croak".  It's not a call I've heard before, and I am out at night in this area often with my dog.  Malayan Night Heron is on my "hoped for" list!  

Dylan

Another dollarbird this morning flying up the valley towards Kadoorie Farm.

Dylan

Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo is still calling from the same wood- heard at 6.15 am.

Dylan

Indian Cuckoo calling again this morning from the flower field area between Shen Shan and Pak Tin Kong.  Also, Blue Magpies at the lower ponds past She Shan.

Dylan

A single dollarbird this morning flying between Lung A Pai and Ping Long.

Dylan

The Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo is still in the valley!  It was calling from the same location at about 3pm this afternoon.

Dylan

Unusually, a Common Mynah was in a garden near my home, only the second one I have seen in Lam Tsuen.

The Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo was calling again this evening around 6pm/

Dylan

[ Last edited by subbuteo at 15/05/2012 19:59 ]

Thread