Thread
Print

Aberdeen Reservoir winter 2012/13

Aberdeen Reservoir winter 2012/13

30 December 2012

Walked from Mount Nicholson to Aberdeen Reservoir today.

1 Two-barred Greenish Warbler
1 Goodson's leaf Warbler (probably claudiae)

1 Pale Thrush
10 Grey-backed Thrush

flock of Chestnut-collared Yuhina (heard)

Yes, I think I wasn't too clear. I agree there isn't any way to separate them. My meaning was that the bird yesterday seemed too white below to be goodsoni.  It's tiresome to type out claudiae/fokiensis not to mention "Pale-legged/Sakhalin" and now "Manchurian/Japanese".

I believe there is some misunderstanding. I believe the bird in the above photographs is a Greenish Warbler based on behavior and the complete lack of a median crown stripe.

Here is a photo of the Blyth's Leaf Warbler. I didn't get a great photo but at least in binoculars it looked quite whitish to me underneath.

4 January 2012

1 (tentatively IDed) Yellow-streaked Warbler (see comments below)
1 Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler
2 Blyth's Leaf Warbler (both white-bellied)
1 Ashy Drongo (leucogensis)
1 Black-naped Monarch
1 Manchurian/Japanese Bush Warbler

When I noticed this bird I had no idea what it was. It had a unique behavior being in the lower canopy but frequently foraging on the trunk or low branches of the trees almost like a treecreeper. Never on the ground. It appeared roughly the size of Eastern Crowned Warbler. Very nondescript, plain brown above with no wing bars, pale buff below. Bill fine and lower mandible yellow. Legs pale.

At the time all I could think of was Yellow-streaked or Pale-footed Bush Warbler.

This are digiscoped from my phone of my SLR screen so not too clear. I am not at home right now so can't upload them. Any thoughts?

[ Last edited by brendank at 4/01/2013 15:05 ]

Photos of the mystery warbler from today. Photos make it look like Dusky Warbler but behavior was very different from that as described above. No calls were heard in the about 5 minutes I was following it.

Not sure if the behavior fits Yellow-streaked Warbler or not since I don't have enough experience with that species. This bird was never on the ground and YS Warbler are said not be as terrestial as Dusky or Radde's.

can you tell us the exact location of the seicercus warbler? I am interested finding it.

27 January 2013

Rather quiet today and no sign of the Martens's Warbler.

1 Pale-legged/Sakhalin Warbler
2 Grey-headed Flycatcher
1 Hainan Blue Flycatcher (not seen by me)

I think is probably the female Hainan Blue Flycatcher seen a few times last week. The bill is long and dark, the breast is washed with orange, and the tail looks reddish.

Thread