Thread
Print

Lam Tsuen, Autumn 2013

Hi Dylan

If you mean Red-whiskered Bulbul, it's a record count.

Geoff

Re the flock of Grey-chinned Minivets.

Largish flocks of Grey-chinned Minivets like this are regularly recorded in Hong Kong in early autumn through into January.
John Allcock and I recently had a discussion about these flocks, whether they were of Hong Kong origin or winter visitors from outside. We were trying to decide how to describe them in the HK Bird Report.

We eventually decided the current evidence suggests they are post-breeding flocks of local origin rather than from outside, although the possibility that some are true winter visitors cannot be excluded.

This behaviour is rather different to that of Scarlet Minivet which, as you note, tend to be seen in fairly even numbers throughout the year.

They are also a latest autumn record by nine days (so far)

Hi Dylan

Fortunately computers these days can cope with 5000 records as easily as 50 (although if everyone supplied 5000 records I might get a bit bogged down)

But I agree entirely - if you want to understand bird movements in a specific area, you have to count all species. You will be surprised and excited what this can reveal even for the common species. That's my experience from Po Toi and also yours at Lam Tsuen.

Yung Shue O is not a well-recorded area so I'm sure you are going to find exciting new things from there (starting with Brown Fish Owl!)

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 13/12/2013 14:45 ]

Thread