Thread
Print

Yung Shue O, Sai Kung

Interesting list, Dylan. I'm just over the hill on Chuk Yeung Road below the MacLehose trail. I've seen all of these here in 4 years except Asian Stubtail and Ashy Drongo. Here the numbers tend to be small and it's basically road birding, lots of hikers. I'd be happy to add Stubtail and Ashy Drongo to my list.

If you are close to a Camphor tree look out for this moth. They should be on the wing January - March I think. http://www.flickr.com/photos/29954808@N00/3279971835/. I believe camphor is the larval food plant.

Dylan, the larva is yellowish green with turquoise/green lines running along it.

I added Asian Stubtail to my Chuk Yeung Road list today. Also saw Chestnut-capped Babbler and Streak-breasted Scimitar-babbler. Your patch sounds excellent. Is there parking at YSO? I've heard cars are 'vulnerable'.

The WBSEs fly from Sai Kung towards Kei Ling Ha Lo Wai late afternoons. At least that seems to be the direction on a map. I have seen WBSEs in KLHLW so I guess that's the territory. Close to you. They come from Yeung Chau, past our house. There is occasionally an Osprey below us too. I think you'll sail through 100 no problem. I have seen Bonelli's at Ho Chung and Lions Nature Education Centre so keep your eyes open but I've yet to see one from our house in 4 years.

Thread