Thread
Print

(過期 Outdated) 香港鳥類名錄 List of Hong Kong Birds (2020-03-10)

Question lingering in my mind

Quote:
Original posted by wgeoff at 30/04/2020 12:36
I've just had time to look over the new HK List and was very surprised to find a major change to the order of species.

Previously the List was water and seabirds (plus raptors) up to Murrelet followe ...
I am super super happy today that someone points this out.  Similar question has been lingering in my mind for a while.  I think I am the only HKBWS member who does not know the answer because I am not an ornithologist nor professional birder.................

Looking forward to be educated and enlightened!!!!!

Quote:
Original posted by cgeoff at 4/05/2020 14:04
A decision was made some time ago to follow the IOC list in order that the Records Committee, which is not a taxonomic body, did not have to make decisions it was not qualified to make. Sometimes the  ...
Thank you for the prompt advice.  Just out of curiosity, is there any channel for HKBWS/ RC to reflect our members' views about the order of the list or there is no choice, but just follow??? Is it possible to enquire IOC about their rationale of such new ordering for the sake of enhancing our knowledge.  I myself is one of those layman members who are real interested in taxonomy issues because of Chinese bird naming initiatives and also enlightenment received from ornitheologists. Now I know I am not the only HKBWS member who is interested.

[ Last edited by mchristine at 5/05/2020 10:50 ]

Good to know the answer. Thanks once again for your prompt follow up and advice.

It does make some sense to me. Very interesting! Thank you for sharing!

Thread