Thread
Print

[Oversea] Alaska, USA 2007 美國阿拉斯加

Alaska, USA 2007 美國阿拉斯加

Alaska is really a wonderful place of the mother nature. We got a lot of fun in camping, hiking, berry picking, birding, wildlife watching, ice climbing and more. I am not surprised for someone say : 'Alaska is the last frontier where you should go at least once in your lifetime.' If you have not been there , consider for your next destination.

May I express my deep appreciation to our leader Felix for organizing the trip and guiding us for bird watching.

I. My bird records:

1. Sandhill Crane 沙丘鶴 @Creamer's Refuge, Fairbanks

2. Willow Ptarmigan 柳雷鳥 @Denali National Park

3. Rock Ptarmigan 岩雷鳥 @Denali National Park

4. Gyrfalcon 矛隼 @Denali National Park

5. White-crowned Sparrow (Adult) 白冠帶鵐 @Denali National Park

6. White-crowned Sparrow (Juvenile) 白冠帶鵐 @Denali National Park

7. American Tree Sparrow 美洲樹雀鵐 @Denali National Park

8. Common Loon 普通潛鳥 @ Nancy Lake, Willow

9. Red-necked Grebe 赤頸鷿鷉 @ Nancy Lake, Willow

10. Red-necked Grebe (Juvenile) 赤頸鷿鷉幼鳥@ Nancy Lake, Willow

11. Blue-winged Teal 藍翅鴨 @ Nancy Lake, Willow

12. Glaucous Gull 北極鷗 @ Anchor Point, Kenai

13. Bald Eagle 白頭海雕 @ Anchor Point, Kenai

14. Tufted Puffin 簇羽海鸚 @ Alaska Sealife Centre, Seward

15. Horned Puffin 角海鸚 @ Alaska Sealife Centre, Seward

16. Rhinoceros Auklet 角咀海雀 @ Alaska Sealife Centre, Seward

17. Common Murre 崖海鴉 @ Alaska Sealife Centre, Seward

18. Black-billed Magpie 喜鵲 @Alaska Wildlife Conservation Centre, Portage

19. Black-legged Kittiwake 三趾鷗 @ Salmon Gulch, Valdez

20. Fox Sparrow 狐色雀鵐 @Worthington Glacier, Valdez

21. ? @Worthington Glacier, Valdez

22. American Pipit @ Quartz Lake near Fairbanks

23. Dark-eyed Junco (male)  暗眼燈草鵐@Quartz Lake near Fairbank

II. Some of our birding points

1. Potter's Marsh, Anchorage

2. Westchester Lagoon, Anchorage

3. Wonder Lake Campground, Denali National Park

4. Nancy Lake, Willow

5. Anchor Point, Kenai

6. Homer Spit

7. Worthington Glacier, Valdez

8. Creamer's Refuge, Fairbanks

Thanks for watching.  

Wonderful photos - such a huge contrast from Hong Kong.

Were the puffins and auks wild birds or part of a collection?

Cheers
Mike K
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing!
Angus Lau

Hi Mike and Angus,

Thanks for watching.

In Alaska, the air is fresh and clear. The transparency is high and the starry sky is brilliant. It is wonderful to go camping or stay in a lakeside cabin there.

The puffins and auks in my photos were fed at the Alaska Sealife Centre, Seward. We did see some wild one during the cruise to Kenai Fjord National Park. Unfortunately, my files were damaged. I know Felix got some nice one.

cheers,
Cam

[quote:f36239d1dd="lsinyin"]Alaska is really a wonderful place of the mother nature. We got a lot of fun in camping, hiking, berry picking, birding, wildlife watching, ice climbing and more. I am not surprised for someone say : 'Alaska is the last frontier where you should go at least once in your lifetime.' If you have not been there , consider for your next destination.

May I express my deep appreciation to our leader Felix for organizing the trip and guiding us for bird watching. [/quote]

:shock: I've almost missed this message from my teammate while I am busy for building my album for this trip.  I also feel surpised my words are even quoted.  I think I have posted the most beautiful bird photos here and for those who want to see more, please visit my  C A T in Alaska

[hr]

[quote:f36239d1dd="lsinyin"]
The puffins and auks in my photos were fed at the Alaska Sealife Centre, Seward. We did see some wild one during the cruise to Kenai Fjord National Park. Unfortunately, my files were damaged. I know Felix got some nice one.
[/quote]

Because of the bad weather, I can only get a few for recording purpose only.  Camille, sorry again for your corrupted files.

2007-08-19
Kenai Fjords National Park

Tufted Puffin

Horned Puffin

Common Murre

Felix, you got some wonderful images under great lights! It appears that the birds and animals are very approachable. Or at least so it seems by looking at your photos... :roll:
Angus Lau

A wonderful collection of photos, it certainly is a contrast to Hong Kong

[quote:9c78bfdc8c="lkimming"]Felix, you got some wonderful images under great lights! It appears that the birds and animals are very approachable. Or at least so it seems by looking at your photos... :roll:[/quote]

Thanks, Angus.  In fact, almost 2/3 of our time in Alaska was not good (cloudy and with shower).  The worst was the day we had the birding cruise at Seward, which supposed to be most productive.  Having said that, we are extremely luck to see Mt. MacKinley at Wonder Lake, Denali NP in our two night stay there.  We had a full sunny day between these two nights while it is said Mt. MacKinley only come out in average in 1 out of 3 days.

Regarding the animals, they are less approachable than I expected for such a remote area.  For those big mammals such as bears, mooses and caribous, it can only get them inside the car. They may be too close (within 10m), but most of the time, too far away depending on your luck.  For birds, most of them are not very approachable as those in HK except Bald Eagle.

[quote:ef105bbb9e="nfelix"][quote:ef105bbb9e="lkimming"]Felix, you got some wonderful images under great lights! It appears that the birds and animals are very approachable. Or at least so it seems by looking at your photos... :roll:[/quote]

Thanks, Angus.  In fact, almost 2/3 of our time in Alaska was not good (cloudy and with shower).  The worst was the day we had the birding cruise at Seward, which supposed to be most productive.  Having said that, we are extremely luck to see Mt. MacKinley at Wonder Lake, Denali NP in our two night stay there.  We had a full sunny day between these two nights while it is said Mt. MacKinley only come out in average in 1 out of 3 days.

Regarding the animals, they are less approachable than I expected for such a remote area.  For those big mammals such as bears, mooses and caribous, it can only get them inside the car. They may be too close (within 10m), but most of the time, too far away depending on your luck.  For birds, most of them are not very approachable as those in HK except Bald Eagle.[/quote]

Better than mine before. Although I have not organized any bird watching and photography trip over Denali and Seward there before, I really like the trip and even experienced the 1st snowing in late September and was able to see the northern light in Fairbank. You make me missed the trip very much.

Thread