Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] Save HK Ramsar Wetland 救救拉姆薩爾濕地

The ideal option of saving private Deep Bay wetlands (mainly fishponds) is land resumption by the Govt. But it is less likely that the Govt will do it in forseeable future. So, the popular remaining option is the public-private-partnership (PPP), i.e. the majority area will be conserved and managed by losing some area for development.

It is a hard decision, but the most key thing is that we need to enhance the value and function of these wetlands, in particular abandoned/degraded fishponds: the value and function are sometimes important than the area. Clearly, a large area of empty wetlands with no waterbirds is no use for people and wildlife. Remember most Deep Bay wetlands are man-made and they need to be managed....

If HKBWS do not agree with the PPP model, it will be great if we could have fund raising events in order to purchase Deep Bay fishponds one by one.

Captain

Dickson,

A quick response. As far as I know, the developer has to set up a trust (an independent body funded by the developer but the board should have a wide spectrum of people) to manage the wetland under the EIA Ordinance.

To be honest, most developers have no interest in managing such wetlands and so they are happy to set up a trust and let the trust run the wetland reserve.

I guess the Govt is also looking for the answer of how to manage different trusts due to several developments in Deep Bay .... that is why a lot of people asking a territory-wide conservation trust in HK.

Captain

[ Last edited by wcaptain at 22/09/2008 11:23 ]

Thread