Thread
Print

Sha Lo Tung 沙螺洞 Winter 2009

Sha Lo Tung 沙螺洞 Winter 2009

8.45-10.30 am, 2 November 2009

A brief walk around on a stunningly beautiful morning.  The strong monsoon winds seemed to keep the birds out of sight unfortunately.  At least five Little Buntings were in long grass, larger buntings were seen but not for long enough to identify, fleeting views at best.  A single Common Buzzard was perched on a dead tree.  One female Stonechat, Olive-backed Pipit, Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker, Chestnut, Chinese and Crested Bulbuls.Dusky Warbler, Yellow-browed Warbler and Great Tit were also seen.

Sha lo Tung is worth a visit if only for the scenery.

Sha Lo Tung is certainly worth a visit at this time of year ie mid Oct or so to early December maybe, and when we have classic Autumn weather conditions, like now, though you're right that while the strong wind is still blowing birding ain't as easy as it could be.

I haven't been on a regular basis for a few years now (01, 02, 03 I think) and it was best I think in the mid 90s after the so-called eco vandalism event when the former villagers took a bulldozer to the wetland in an attempt to destroy its eco value, but only succeeded in a spectacularly successful bit of habitat management as far as I could see. I guess they reversed, temporarily at least, the post-agricultural process of the wet areas ceasing to be sedge/grass areas and becoming shrubland and just generally seemed to open up the streams etc.

Anyway in my experience you really have to be at Sha Lo Tung at first light - 6 am or so  - and then once the sun comes up over the ridge to the east you have a "golden period" up to 7 am or so depending on the prevailing temperature, when bush warblers and Lanceys etc will come out and show themselves with a bit of pishing.

As you say, Subbuteo, whatever you see it really is a magical place to bird.

Final tip: as the season moves on, and in a December cold spell, if we ever have such a thing now, I think it gets increasingly worth doing the Hok Tau circuit too, if you have time.

Good Luck,

Mike Turnbull

Thread